Last updated: September 9, 2020
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us using the contact details included at section 17.
- Who we are
- When do we collect personal information about you?
- What personal information do we use?
- What information is collected automatically online?
- What about personal information that is considered more sensitive?
- How we use your personal information
- Lawful grounds
- Use of our online services
- Do we share your personal information?
- International data transfers
- Securing your personal information
- How long do we keep your personal information?
- Your rights and preferences
- Other websites
- How to contact us
1. Who we are
2. When do we collect personal information about you?
We may obtain your personal information from a number of sources including:
- When you give it to us directly. For example, if you provide us with your email address to sign up to receive our news updates.
- When we obtain it indirectly. Your personal information may be shared with us by third parties such as recruitment agencies when we are recruiting staff and vetting agencies when we gather information on grant applicants. To the extent that we have not done so already and that we are required to, we will notify you when we receive personal information about you from them, and tell you how and why we intend to use that personal information.
- When it is publicly available. Your personal information may be available to us from external publicly available sources. This includes information available on government websites.
3. What personal information do we use?
We may collect, store, and otherwise process the following kinds of personal information:
- your full name and contact details, including email address, postal address, and telephone number;
- profile information and user name if you register on our website;
- information you provide when you are considered as a contractor which may include education and work experience, employment information, images of your signature, and information about the services you may provide;
- information about your use of our information and communications systems;
- financial information including bank details, payment card details;
- your communication preferences;
- information about your professional status and role4. What information do we collect automatically online?
- We will also collect certain information automatically every time you interact with our website. We do this through server log files, cookies, and pixel tags.
For instance, we identify and log the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the device you use to access our website automatically in our server log files whenever you visit our website, along with the time of your visit and pages you visit. While the intention of such a practice is to calculate website usage levels and to help us diagnose problems with the website’s servers, we recognize that an IP address is also an online identifier which can be used to create profiles of individuals behind devices. Thus, if we combine non-personal information with personal information, we will treat the combined information as personal information as long as it is combined.
6. How we use your personal information
We will use your personal information:
- to contact you to make recommendations, proposals, or notices to you about opportunities you may potentially be interested in;
- to make administrative and marketing communications;
- to enable you to use our online services (e.g., our forums, message boards, blogs);
- to administer any financial transaction between us;
- to register you for an event and any administration associated with the event;
- to contact you for our advocacy purposes and to inform you of events or publications we think you may potentially be interested in;
- for research purposes so that we can identify key trends of findings in connection with our programs and projects;
- to satisfy legal obligations which are binding on us;
- for the prevention of fraud or misuse of service; and
- for the establishment of, defense against, or enforcement of legal claims.
7. Lawful grounds
Under certain laws, we are required to rely on one or more lawful grounds to collect and use the personal information that we have outlined above. We consider the grounds listed below to be relevant:
- Legal obligation. Where the processing of your personal information is necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation to which we are subject (e.g., because we have to provide information to tax authorities).
- Contractual relationship. Where it is necessary for us to use your personal information in order to perform a contract to which you are a party (or to take steps at your request prior to entering a contract).
- Legitimate interests. We rely on this basis where applicable law allows us to collect and use personal information for our legitimate interests and the use of your personal information is fair, balanced, and does not unduly impact your rights. For instance, it is in our legitimate interest to use personal information in association with planning of, delivery of, and monitoring of our programmatic work and grant making.
- Consent. We may obtain your consent to use your personal information in certain circumstances (e.g., to send you email marketing). We will ensure that when we obtain your consent, you are free both to give it and to decline to give it. Additionally, you may always withdraw your consent at any time without any further detriment to you.
9. Do we share your personal information?
For instance, we use a third-party marketing automation platform to assist with managing email addresses and sending emails to our subscribers. When you sign up to receive email updates from us and provide us with your email address, you will receive an automated email originating from this third party confirming your subscription and providing you with a link to unsubscribe from the list.
We may also engage third parties to assist us with website hosting, data analysis, transaction processing, grant making, and other administrative services.
We reserve the right to disclose your personal information to third parties:
- in the event that we buy or sell any business or assets, in which case we will disclose your personal information to the prospective buyer or seller or such business or assets;
- if substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, personal information held by us may be one of the transferred assets;
- for auditing purposes;
- to enforce our Terms & Conditions;
- if we are under any legal or regulatory obligation to do so (e.g., to comply with legal process or requests from government authorities);
- to permit us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain; and
- in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings, in order to establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights.
11. Securing your personal information
OSF takes reasonable technical and organizational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse, or alteration of your personal information. We restrict access to those who have a need to know and we train staff in handling the information securely. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as perfect security in the online environment. As a result, we cannot and do not guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us through or in connection with the website.
If you believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (e.g., you consider that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised) please immediately notify us by contacting us at email@example.com.
- to comply with any statutory or regulatory requirements we are subject to under applicable law;
- to fulfill the purposes for which the personal information was collected; or
- to defend our or a third party’s legal rights.
12. How long do we keep your personal information?
We will keep your personal information for as long as necessary.
Our website is not intended to be used by individuals who are under the age of sixteen (16). If you are under the age of sixteen (16), please do not provide personal information to us or through our website.
- ask us for confirmation of what personal information we hold about you, and to request a copy of that information; if we are satisfied that you have a legal entitlement to see this personal information, and we are able to confirm your identity, we will provide you with this personal information;
- withdraw your consent at any time if we have relied on consent as the lawful ground to use your personal information;
- request that we delete the personal information we hold about you, as far as we are legally required to do so;
- ask that we correct any personal information that we hold about you which you believe to be inaccurate;
- object to the processing of your personal information where we (i) process on the basis of the legitimate interests ground; (ii) use the personal information for direct marketing; or (iii) use the personal information for statistical purposes;
- ask for the provision of your personal information in a machine-readable format to either yourself or a third party, provided that the personal information in question has been provided to us by you, and is being processed by us (i) in reliance on your consent; or (ii) because it is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are party; and in either instance, we are processing it using automated means; and
- ask for processing of your personal information to be restricted if there is disagreement about its accuracy or legitimate use.
14. Your rights and preferences
Please note that we will honor your requests to exercise your rights to the extent possible and required under applicable law.
- Your choices regarding our use and disclosure of your personal information
We give you choices regarding our use and disclosure of your personal information for marketing purposes. You may opt-out from:
- Receiving electronic communications from us: If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails or text messages from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out by using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of these emails.
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable.
15. Other websites
17. How to contact us
You can contact the Justice Roundtable if you have any questions about this privacy notice or our treatment of your personal information: