NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund
The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) seeks a dynamic and innovative individual to serve as Senior Community Organizer. The Senior Community Organizer will report to the Director of Community Organizing.
- Responsible for supervising the work of two Community Organizers, in addition to working in conjunction with the full LDF staff on projects, cases and initiatives;
- Assist in the implementation of LDF’s strategic plan and assist the Community Organizing Director in creating necessary workplans;
- Supervise Community Organizer’s implementation of workplans;
- Responsible for providing regularly scheduled updates to LDF’s legal staff. Additionally, the Senior Community Organizer will draw upon their knowledge, experience, communications capacity and reputation of LDF to support communities of color in their struggle to achieve racial equity and Justice;
- Help build LDF’s relationship with communities most impacted by racial discrimination so that our advocacy efforts will be tailored to the real and expressed needs of the community;
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience organizing communities to advance racial justice and reforms to public systems;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey complex information effectively to a wide range of audiences of varying sizes;
- A demonstrated capacity to plan, implement and coordinate a broad range of successful campaigns;
- Ability to train community members to conduct and facilitate trainings and workshops;
- The capability to develop and maintain relationships, partnerships, and coalitions of organizations, community members/leaders, and public officials;
- Professionalism, discretion, and sound judgment to handle sensitive, high-profile, legally privileged and otherwise confidential information in an appropriate manner;
- A demonstrated ability to work both in a team structure and independently, as required by different circumstances;
- Strong initiative and creative thinking;
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate with diverse groups;
- A demonstrated ability to adhere to a flexible and sometimes demanding schedule;
- Willingness to travel extensively to both urban and rural areas in the United States;
- A valid driver’s license.