Justice Policy Institute
The Justice Policy Institute seeks an experienced researcher and policy analyst with a passion for social justice to join our Washington, D.C. based team.
Agency Description: The Justice Policy Institute (JPI) is a national nonprofit organization whose mission is to reduce society’s reliance on incarceration and the criminal justice system and improve the well-being of all people and communities. JPI does this through groundbreaking research and analysis, strategic communications, and technical assistance to advocates and policymakers. Please review our work before you apply.
Responsibilities: The Research & Policy Associate is part of a two-person research and policy team with one full-time Research and Policy Director, and this new position, a Research & Policy Associate. The successful applicant will be expected to help support JPI’s overall effort to reform criminal and juvenile justice policies nationally and in particular jurisdictions. This position works closely with state-focused and communications staff in a collaborative, integrated approach to using research for policy change, 8 person office in downtown Washington, D.C. The RPA administratively reports to the Research and Policy Director. The position requires an ability to manage multiple priorities, and a positive team orientation.
Specific Duties, as prioritized by the Research and Policy Director include:
- Serve as primary author on research publications.
- Act as project manager for publications and other deliverables, including coordinating closely with research, communications and state-strategy staff.
- Together with other staff, develop ideas and concepts for future research.
- Together with other research staff, draft fact sheets, testimony and other research materials for dissemination to the field.
- Provide technical research assistance to other JPI staff, organizations in the field and the media.
- Prepare research findings for presentation to state legislatures, city councils, government agencies, conference panels and community events.
- Assist communications and state-strategy staff on report release tasks, including release strategy, editing documents, creating outreach lists and contacts, and drafting collateral written materials.
- With other staff, review, edit and assist in the design of JPI publications, letters and other written documents.
- Help staff and coordinate internship program.
- Attend and participate in state-based and national coalition meetings as needed to represent JPI.
- Participate in bimonthly staff meetings and other planning and coordinating meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
- A degree that covers course work and material a social science discipline relevant to JPI’s work.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with staff and external partners.
- Research, policy and project management experience that demonstrates the ability to work on JPI projects and subject areas,
- Proven facility in applied research on justice and/or related social policies. This includes: familiarity and comfort accessing, manipulating, and analyzing large datasets, including budgets and census data; ability to conduct literature reviews; interview and survey skills; and general ability to understand complex statistical analyses
- Strong computer skills, particularly using Microsoft excel
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including demonstrated ability to translate complex ideas and information into clear prose for a general audience.
- Track record of meeting deadlines.
- Experience working with government, nonprofits, policymakers, advocates, and activists.
- Experience working with diverse partners and with the populations most directly impacted by the criminal and juvenile justice systems.
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with skills and experience and comparable to similar positions in the nonprofit community.
Hours: Full-time, salaried.
To apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample of your choice that together demonstrate your qualifications for this position. Please submit application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Applicants failing to submit all requesting attachments will not be considered for this position.
JPI is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity.