Center for American Progress
Reports to: Director, Criminal Justice Policy; Director, Progress 2050
Department: Domestic Policy
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Policy Analyst with expertise in criminal justice policy, as well as equity, diversity, and inclusion issues. This person will be the primary Policy Analyst and conduct substantial research and writing for both the Criminal Justice and Progress 2050 teams at American Progress. In addition, this person will collaborate with allied organizations.
- Conduct original research and synthesize extant knowledge.
- Write and edit accessible letters, columns, briefs, and papers.
- Elicit and provide feedback on written materials.
- Manage projects independently.
- Coordinate with the organization’s other policy departments on cross-cutting issues.
- Assist in the coordination and planning of meetings and events.
- Represent American Progress in diverse settings, including meetings with academics, researchers, advocates, media outlets, conferences, and panel discussions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in political science or a related field; a master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Three or more years of relevant full-time work experience.
- Excellent writing, editing, and policy research skills.
- Rigorous data skills: Applicants must have extensive knowledge of conducting rigorous data analysis, including usage of statistical software packages—such as STATA, SPSS, SAS, R, or another similar program.
- Ability to analyze databases that contain thousands of observations and variables and identify trends and patterns.
- Strong ability to manipulate and analyze data.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, including the ability to conduct both quantitative and qualitative research.
- Strong ability to conceptualize problems.
- Knowledge of criminal justice, civil rights, and racial justice policy or practice.
- Knowledge of federal policymaking process.
- Strong ability to formulate policy recommendations.
- Ability to generate new and original ideas to solve policy problems.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to initiate projects and balance multiple projects at once.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, as well as an ability to work well both on a team and independently.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.