Justice Policy Institute
The Justice Policy Institute (JPI) seeks a Director of Research and Policy. Founded in 1997, JPI is a national nonprofit organization that promotes justice reform and advances policies that promote well-being and justice for all people and communities. JPI’s research and analyses identify effective programs and policies, and we disseminate our findings to the media, policymakers and advocates, and provide training and technical assistance supports to people across the country working for justice reform.
The Director of Research and Policy will have strategic and operational responsibility for generating, coordinating and helping to disseminate JPI’s research on juvenile and criminal justice policy. The Director of Research and Policy will report to the Executive Director. The successful applicant for the position will be expected to support continuation of JPI’s national leadership encouraging effective juvenile and criminal justice reform policies, as well as help provide overall coordination of JPI’s research and communications efforts. The position requires an ability to manage multiple priorities, and a positive team orientation.
- Provide strategic thought leadership on justice system policy issues
- Manage JPI’s research calendar, and coordinate regular research and policy and meetings
- In partnership with other staff, develop ideas and concepts for future research and policy priorities
- Serve as an author and project manager on JPI research publications, including reports, policy briefs, fact sheets, rapid response materials, blog posts, op-eds, testimony and other research materials for dissemination to the field
- Supervise research staff and consultants
- Provide technical research assistance to other JPI staff, organizations in the field and the media
- Assist with grant proposals and reports
- In partnership with other staff, assist with development and implementation of dissemination and communications strategies for JPI publications, including release strategy, editing documents, and drafting collateral written materials
- Represent JPI in meetings, coalitions, panels and at conferences
- Create presentations of research findings for legislative bodies, government agencies, conferences and other public forums
- Serve as research and policy contact to federal, state and local governments, national organizations, and state-based organizations working on juvenile and criminal justice policy reform
- Participate in regular staff meetings and other planning and coordinating meetings
The Research and Policy Director will be thoroughly committed to JPI’s mission of justice reform and community development. Candidates should possess the following skills and experience:
- Five or more years of experience, including work on national and state juvenile and criminal justice policy issues
- A history of leadership in juvenile justice or criminal justice policy reform
- Proven facility in applied research on justice and/or related social policies, including familiarity and comfort accessing, manipulating, and analyzing large datasets, including budgets and census data; ability to conduct literature reviews, interview and survey skills; and general ability to understand and clearly explain complex statistical analyses
- Evidence of well-developed written and oral communication skills, including demonstrated ability to translate complex ideas and information into clear prose for a general audience
- Track record of meeting deadlines
- Experience working with government, nonprofits, policymakers, advocates, activists and individuals directly impacted by the justice system
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with staff, external partners and diverse communities
- Masters or professional degree
- Supervisory experience
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with skills and experience
Hours: Full-time, salaried
To Apply: Please send letter of application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
JPI is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity.