Social Movement Technologies
Corporate Campaign Digital Campaigner
(20-40 hrs/wk, remote)
Social Movement Technologies
Info on other, longer-term, position here.
Social Movement Technologies (SMT) seeks a versatile digital campaigner to manage online communications and develop and execute online campaigns, working remotely.
This person will be an SMT Staff Partner and will work as a contractor.
For 20-40 hours per week over the next up to 6 months the Staff Partner will be assigned to carry out online organizing as part of a highly visible national campaign to build accountability for a hedge fund’s destructive management of newspapers across the country. This is part of an escalating contract campaign by the country’s leading union of media workers, The NewsGuild-CWA. It’s possible that this position could then continue, working on other campaigns.
The campaigner will be part of a team of highly experienced digital campaigners providing support to the campaign.
- Write, edit and curate compelling content for social media channels and email blasts.
- Monitor traditional and social media outlets and identify campaign opportunities and strategic content.
- Assist in developing and executing online campaigns, e.g. orchestrate Twitter and Facebook storms by developing content and organizing amplification, including ad campaigns
- Amplify offline rallies and other actions, coordinate live tweeting.
- Produce regular reports on online performance and campaign results.
- Coordinate with other team members to manage and improve digital properties.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with offline and online organizing
- Extra points for experience with corporate campaigns and union contract campaigns
- Experience using social media and email for advocacy
- Strong skills with meme development and social media messaging in campaigns
- Strong skills with using Twitter in organizing
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Proficiency with ActionNetwork a plus
- Familiarity with web and social media analytics
- Experience with Google Docs and MS Word and Excel
- Highly organized, able to multitask and work and meet deadlines in a campaign environment
- Able to work as a team, able to delegate and train/coach team members who need it
- Passionate about fighting for equality and justice for all
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Bonus points for project management experience
Hourly rate varies by project and experience level.
ABOUT Social Movement Technologies
SMT is a non-profit organization founded in 2013 to help progressive organizing groups ramp up with online strategy, tools and tactics to build power and win campaigns. It has trained staff from over 1,000 organizations across the US, Canada and abroad in its first three years through highly attended webinars, as well as in coaching sessions. It has created a team of experienced online/offline organizers who work with groups, seeking to bring a strategic organizing approach to all its work. For more information, visit our website at https://socialmovementtechnologies.org.
Please send to email@example.com:
- A short note explaining your interest and providing an example of your best online campaign work. This should include several campaign memes/posts/tweets you created. Please also write a paragraph about your most successful online campaign example. We will not consider applications that are missing this.
- Attach a CV/resume.
- Indicate your required hourly rate, or an acceptable range. (We are a union shop (Pacific Media Guild Freelancers Division – CWA) and have a “Fair to Freelancers” designation. If we bring someone on, the rate of pay will be consistent with our internal pay levels based on experience and the nature of the project.)
- Use the subject line: CC Digital Campaigner position
Position will remain open until filled. Looking for ability to start asap in month of July.