- Mission & Goals
- Working Groups
- Convener’s Corner
- Partners & Allies
- Photo Gallery
DSC is Hiring Consultant on ESSA Implementation
The Dignity in Schools Campaign (DSC) challenges the systemic problem of pushout in our nation’s schools and works to dismantle the school-to-prison pipeline. As a national coalition with over 100 member organizations in 26 states, the DSC builds power amongst parents, youth, organizers, advocates and educators to transform their own communities, support alternatives to a culture of zero-tolerance, punishment, criminalization and dismantling of public schools, and fight racism and all forms of oppression. We bring together our members through direct action organizing, public policy advocacy and leadership development to fight for the human right of every young person to a quality education and to be treated with dignity.
DSC is looking for a full-time consultant based in Washington, DC to coordinate our work around implementation of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) for the period June through September. The primary responsibility of the consultant will be to work with members at the state-level to influence the drafting of their state ESSA plans, while also monitoring what is happening at the federal level related to implementation and supporting DSC to influence the federal rule-making process.
Responsibilities of the Consultant:
• Supporting DSC members in different states around the country in influencing their state plans for implementation of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), including working with members to contact state-level policy-makers, schedule meetings, prepare talking points and share recommendations for state plans.
• Working with DSC federal partner NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) to create materials for members on ESSA implementation and how to engage state policy-makers.
• Working with the DSC Member Federal Strategies Co-Chair, Nollie Jenkins Family Center, to coordinate a Federal Liaison Team of DSC members who will help support and coordinate other members in their region, including through coordinating calls, training materials and information for liaisons.
• Working with LDF and the Co-Chair to plan and facilitate monthly DSC Federal Strategies Calls and several webinars on ESSA.
• Working with LDF and members to influence federal rule-making and guidelines around the implementation of ESSA.
• Representing DSC, together with members and LDF, at meetings in Washington, DC related to ESSA and other federal priorities.
Qualifications of the Consultant:
• Knowledge of federal education law, including the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), and the role of the Department of Education.
• Experience working with community organizations, especially in state-level policy advocacy campaigns.
• Strong facilitation and training skills, including experience with webinars and conference calls, as well as in person trainings.
• Excellent writing skills and experience developing advocacy materials for communities.
• Ability for frequent travel to support member work in states around the country.
This is a full-time consulting position for 18 weeks from June to September. The position must be based in Washington, DC with the ability to travel. Approximate compensation for the consulting contract will be $20,000.
Email a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 3, 2016.