- Mission & Goals
- Working Groups
- Convener’s Corner
- Partners & Allies
- Photo Gallery
- This event has passed.
NACDL’s SCJN Conference: What to Expect
August 18, 2021 @ 1:00 pm - August 20, 2021 @ 12:00 am EDT
Hi all –
My name is Riley Janeway and I work with Monica Reid at NACDL. I’m writing today with a couple of updates on NACDL’s upcoming SCJN Conference, scheduled for this August 18th – 20th. As planned, this year’s State Criminal Justice Network Conference will be free, live, and virtual, allowing advocates from across the country to easily participate. Kicking off on Wednesday, August 18th through Friday, August 20th, participants will gather daily at 1:00 p.m. ET to hear from experts regarding trends in state criminal justice reform and strategize with like-minded advocates.
This year’s conference will highlight positive trends in reforms, as well as challenges facing reform-minded individuals. Topics include:
- Policing, including an overview of NACDL’s forthcoming report on predictive policing, as well as an examination of policing reforms adopted in the aftermath of nationwide protests in response to the murder of George Floyd;
- Criminalization of HIV and transgender and gender non-conforming individuals;
- The ‘Trial Penalty,’ exploring NACDL’s newly released report on the New York State Trial Penalty and hearing from individuals who received harsh sentences due to the trial penalty;
- Second Look and other reforms to combat life imprisonment and other extreme sentences;
- Abortion Criminalization;
- Race and Public Defense, including the ways in which lawyers have organized within the legal community and beyond to better address racial inequity in their jurisdictions;
- Cannabis Reform; and
- Social media skills for the savvy advocate!
We hope to see you in August. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions.