- Mission & Goals
- Working Groups
- Convener’s Corner
- Partners & Allies
- Photo Gallery
- This event has passed.
Effective Harm Reduction Responses to the Worsening Overdose Crisis Caused by COVID-19
October 20, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm EDT
Join this expert panel to hear how COVID-19 is worsening the U.S. overdose crisis and threatening the survival of harm reduction programs critical to preventing overdose and the spread of infectious diseases.
• Moderator: Maia Szalavitz, Author of New York Times bestseller, Unbroken Brain: A Revolutionary New Way of Understanding Addiction
• Ricky N. Bluthenthal, Ph.D., Associate Dean for Social Justice & Professor, Department of Preventive Medicine, Institute for Prevention Research, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California
• Jessica Martinez, Methamphetamine Services Specialist, Mobile Outreach Services – HIPS, Washington D.C.
• Jim Thacker, Harm Reduction Program Manager, University of Kentucky’s (UK) and Kentucky Department for Public Health’s (KDPH) statewide Harm Reduction Initiative
• Michelle Wright, Interim Director of Policy and Advocacy, Harm Reduction Coalition
The Panelists will describe how the crisis is impacting regions nationwide and why harm reduction services are uniquely positioned to effectively address the syndemic of overdose and COVID-19.